PRIVACY FENCE INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS
T & G PRIVACY FENCE INSTALLATIONS
Important note: set your posts on center per style listed below
Woodgrain= 97.5” & 74.5 on center
Shasta=96.5 & 70.5 on center
Cascade=96.5” & 75.5” on center
- Check with local ordinances on rules and regulations before building fences in your area
- Before any digging is done contact the local utility companies to identify any buried lines, cables, pipelines etc.
- Layout fence line (for example see details 1) a. Check property line and establish correct fence line for your fence b. Establish fence line approximately ¼” from outside edge of posts. We suggest using a couple of stakes with nylon string stretched tight to create a straight line.
- Using the layout, mark and dig all holes 12” wide and 30” deep at either 71” or 95” center to center of holes
- Determining gate post centers is different from determining line post centers. To figure a single gate post center, add the width of the gate plus 11/2” of clearance for the hardware plus 5” (2 1/2” for each post) for the post centers. When using a double gate, add the gate width plus 2 ¼” for hardware clearance (3/4” of space between posts) plus 5” (21/2” for each post) for post centers. See detail 1
- when setting the first post. Determine the height of the fence to the ground. We recommend 2” to 3” from ground level and the bottom of the routed holes on the posts. Place medium sized rock in the bottom of the hole to allow for post height adjustment. Rock can be used to hold the post in place until the concrete is poured. See detail 3.
- When mixing cement to pour around the base of the post, use one part cement, two parts gravel, four parts sand and enough water to make into a thick consistency. You can also use a commercial mix and follow the instructions on the bag. After the cement is mixed, pour it around the outside base of the post. Filling the inside of the post will be done after fence sections are installed. Before the cement is completely set make sure the posts are plumb and straight. To maintain post height, we suggest setting up a string plumb line similar to the one in Detail . The post heights can be adjusted lower by using a block of wood on top of the post and hammering the post deeper. If the post needs to be raised, a shovel or 2 X4 can be inserted into the routed holes and used as a handle to pull the post up to the desired height. Allow the posts to set for 24 hours before installing the fence sections.
- Check parts received with list that corresponds with the length of fence purchased
71” on center section includes the following :
2 11/2” x 51/2” rails- open one edge
10 7/8” x 61/2” tongue and groove pickets
2 7/8” u-channel
8 #8 x ¾” screws
1 11/4” x 13/8” metal inserts (pre-inserted in rail)
95” on centre section includes the following:
2 11/2” x 51/2” rails open one edge
14 7/8” x 61/2” tonge and groove pickets
2 7/8” U channel
8 #8 x ¾” screws
1 11/4” x 1 5/8” metal insert (pre inserted in rail)
- Using four #8 x ¾” screws, attach the U-channel in between the routed holes on the fence section posts. Cover all rail ends that will be submerged in cement with duct tape. This is done to keep cement from entering rails.
- Insert the bottom rail with metal insert into the routed holes on the lower end of the post. Insert the first picket into the bottom rail and U- channel and the picket edge. The pickets can be be glued together using pvc glue to strengthen the section, but it is not required. Continue to slide the remaining pickets in to place bumping pickets together. The last picket may need to slide from the top of the U-channel into the bottom rail.
Insert one end of the top rail into the post and work it down over the pickets so the rail can be placed into the opposite post. Place a #8 x ¾” screw through each rail end from the inside top of the post or notch and rail ends and slide into the post as seen in detail 6. Repeat this process until all sections have been completed
- Gate Installation Install gate hinges so one bolt goes through the rail (inside the post) and the post to anchor them together. Block the gate up, position the hinges and mark the holes to be drilled. Drill all the way through the post using a 5/16” drill bit. Secure the hinge to the gate stile and post using the 5/16” x 5 ½” bolts, washers and nuts. Do not over tighten nuts, After hinges have been installed, insert two pieces of #4 rebar the length of the post in opposite corners, see detail 7
Note Gate hardware must be installed before filling posts with cement.
- When installing the latch to the gate post, place the latch body on the post in the desired position.We recommend 36” off the ground. Mark the clearance holes and drill 1” and 4 ¼” back from the front edge of the post using a 5/16” drill bit. Drill through post and attach the latch body to the post using 5/16” X 51/2” bolts, washers and nuts (detail 8). After the latch body is in place, insert two #4 rebar the length of the post. See detail 7.
- When installing the striker bar and handle to the gate stile, be sure to align the striker and the groove in the latch body. Mark the holes and drill through the stile using 5/16” drill bit. Attach the stile using four 5/16” x 5 1/2” bolts, washers and nuts. See detail 9. Lift pins and remove gate.
- After all gate fence sections are secure and all gate hardware is installed , cement can be added to the inside of the gate posts. Follow the cement mixing instructions. Carefully fill posts to within 2” from the top. See detail 10. When pouring cement into the post, tap side of post to make sure there are no air pockets in the cement.DO NOT LOOK INTO THE TOP OF THE POST WHEN FILLING WITH CEMENT TO PREVENT SPLATTERING CEMENT INTO EYES. For additional strength, fill all line posts 18” above ground level. Gate posts MUST be filled with cement.
- After the gate posts have cured for 24 hours rehang the gate and replace the pins See Detail 10
- Install caps using vinyl glue. (if using Gothic caps, secure using ¾”screws with snap caps and washers)
Clean up – Use mild biodegradable soap and plastic scratch pad. Rinse with clean water.